20 Feb 2003

See also: IRC log


 Erik Ackerman          Lexmark
 Mike Ballantyne        Electronic Data Systems
 David Booth            W3C
 Roberto Chinnici       Sun Microsystems
 Glen Daniels           Macromedia
 Youenn Fablet          Canon
 Steve Graham           Global Grid Forum
 Martin Gudgin          Microsoft
 Tom Jordahl            Macromedia
 Jacek Kopecky          Systinet
 Philippe Le Hégaret    W3C
 Amelia Lewis           TIBCO
 Steve Lind             AT&T
 Lily Liu               webMethods
 Jonathan Marsh         Chair (Microsoft)
 Jeff Mischkinsky       Oracle
 Dale Moberg            Cyclone Commerce
 Jean-Jacques Moreau    Canon
 Arthur Ryman           IBM
 Adi Sakala             IONA Technologies
 Jeffrey Schlimmer      Microsoft
 William Vambenepe      Hewlett-Packard
 Sanjiva Weerawarana    IBM
 Steven White           SeeBeyond
 Umit Yalcinalp         Oracle
 Prasad Yendluri        webMethods,  Inc.

 Dietmar Gaertner       Software, AG
 Kevin Canyang Liu      SAP
 Igor Sedukhin          Computer Associates
 Jerry Thrasher         Lexmark
 Barbara Zengler        DaimlerChrysler, Research, and, Technology

Chair: Jonathan Marsh

Scribe: dmoberg


Scribe: Role call taken.

JM: Minutes approval postponed to next week

Action item review

JM: Roberto&Gudge may have something by next week on Message mods.

Roberto: Interaction of proposal with new binding features difficult to anticipate

Scribe: DONE: All editors items closed

<Philippe> regrets from Jeff for Monday

JM: Many observers signed up for f2f

Issue browsing for Agenda for face to face in Boston

JM: One main goal--finish up part 1.
... Here are some residual issues-- fault name, type&element&modelgroup for type

Arthur: porttype and binding interdependency

JM: Get rid of element? type? leave it alone?

Scribe: Arthur's proposal -> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2002Sep/0055.html
... properties and features, major residual part 1 issue

<Philippe> Gudge's message: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Feb/0046.html

<Gudge> ta

JM: review period needed? Sanjiva wants operation name review time before publication.

Scribe: Properties Features Task Force

<Philippe> PFTF minuets: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-pnf-tf/2003Feb/0047.html

<jjm> Scenario list at: http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/ws/desc/wsdl12/wsdl12-pftf-usage-cenarios.html

<Gudge> For the log: I hope the proposal (GD) includes how it affects the component model

<jjm> will do (but probably not next week)

Scribe: GD uses example to motivate Features syntax...
... Gudge wants component model for Features


<Philippe> "Interface (AKA Port Type)"/InterfaceBinding/"EndPoint (AKA Port)"/
... in http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/ws/desc/requirements/ws-desc-reqs.html#definitions

Scribe: F2f item-- renaming of elements and attributes--have your list ready
... porttype to interface, binding to interfacebinding?
... ACTION: Phillippe to write up list of renamings


<Gudge> Excellent, we can have a language that rhymes

<alewis> When the WSDL writers waffle on the naming of designs
... And the WSDL authors author without operation binds ....
... Then the service serves as sources for the various new kinds
... Of choreogro-process-flow until all the nets go blind!


Scribe: JM Context to be sent along sometimes. Is this a wsdl concern?

<jeffsch> SOAP headers are not defined in port type but in the SOAP binding

Sanjiva: Context is headers and environment and how Feature realized in a binding

Scribe: GD context covered under Features&Prop stuff
... Sanjiva allows subsuming context under P&F for discussion

JM: Moving on, fault naming

Scribe: topic Fault naming.

Gudge: MEP features on porttypes needs names on faults.
... MEP proposals are written up in a separate document. Address on mailing list.

JM: F2f agenda item review of the proposal and the 7 MEPs
... Let's skip over agenda item 8 to 9: And Sanjiva updated proposal


Scribe: Noah M. on http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-dist-app/2003Jan/0059.html

dmoberg: I saw messages on a SOAP list about using complex as the only type system. It seems pertinent to some of our debates concerning getting rid of parts and using only xsd types. Maybe we should look at what they're saying.

Sanjiva: says we need to line up with xmlp on attachments, types, MIME, xsd types.

Scribe: Gudge says we can go independently
... JS Wonders how connected the issues really are
... Dale agrees with Sanjiva on synching up.
... Sanjiva says that the attachments and parts xmlp structure may support keeping parts
... Roberto says that the impact on bindings makes the xmlp issue relevant

<jeffsch> Our decision about whether to include an explicit message construct may be orthogonal to whether the XMLP WG decides on a simple or composite message model.
... I agree that we can simpify their use case if/when we know what they're going to do.

<jjm> Jeff, would we be able to describe a non-infoset binding with complexTypes only?

<jeffsch> I agree it is less natural, but then we're back to the issue of whether our WG needs to define another representational type system

Scribe: Allegation that someone has suggested that WSDL 1.1 MIME bindings broken?!?

<fishmonge> no luck fishing today

Scribe: Sanjiva? Mime types to be made 1st class

JM: encourages us to be prepared to wrap up part one issues

Scribe: Another issue http binding, bindingtype issue from Kevin, any takers?

<trout1> The MEP proposal e-mail is at http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Feb/0052.html

Scribe: Scribe disrupted and recovering-- Alewis concern about service


<jeffsch> Sanjiva: Is a service restricted to a single port type
... Gudge: A service has > 0 ports, port has 1 binding, binding has 1 port type, so service > 0 port types

Scribe: scribe thanks jeffsch for backfilling.

alewis: Mismatch concerns: adding porttype attribute to service may add redundancy and consequent room for error

Sanjiva: Binding must implement all of operations...

JM: Sanjiva will summarize issue about service, port, binding, porttype.

<Marsh> ACTION: JM to dig up the history on Service issue.

Summary of Action Items

ACTION: JM to dig up the history on Service issue.
ACTION: Phillippe to write up list of renamings

Dale Moberg
$Date: 2002/02/19 16:35:31 $