RE: Proposed renamings

From: Tom Jordahl <tomj@macromedia.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 11:00:55 -0500
To: "'Philippe Le Hegaret'" <plh@w3.org>, "'www-ws-desc@w3.org'" <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

+1 for Interface and Endpoint
+1 for NOT changing Binding

--
Tom Jordahl
Macromedia Server Development

-----Original Message-----
From: Philippe Le Hegaret [mailto:plh@w3.org]
Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 3:21 PM
To: www-ws-desc@w3.org
Subject: Proposed renamings

[I thought I sent these yesterday but don't see it in the archives, so
sending it again]

I've got an action item to start a proposal on renaming elements and/or
attributes in WSDL 1.2. This proposal is based on the latest WSDL 1.2
drafts and the requirements document. I'll keep track of sub-sequa=ente
proposals

- portType
 The requirements document has the following:
 [[
 Interface (AKA Port Type)
  [Definition: A logical grouping of operations. An Interface represents
  an abstract Web Service type, independent of transmission protocol and
  data format.]
 ]]
 http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-ws-desc-reqs-20021028/#normDefs

In 2.4.2 XML Representation of Port Type Component:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-wsdl12-20030124/#PortType_XMLRep

 A [local name] of portType

 would read

 A [local name] of interface

-  EndPoint (AKA Port)
 The requirements document has the following:
 [[
 EndPoint (AKA Port)
  [Definition: An association between a fully-specified InterfaceBinding
  and a network address, specified by a URI [IETF RFC 2396], that may be
  used to communicate with an instance of a Web Service. An EndPoint
  indicates a specific location for accessing a Web Service using a
  specific protocol and data format.]
 ]]
 http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-wsdl12-20030124/#Port_XMLRep

In 2.11.2 XML Representation of Port Component

 A [local name] of port

 would read

 A [local name] of endPoint

We may also do the following but, if we don't, I'll recommend changing
the glossary of our requirements document.

- binding
 The requirements document has the following:
 [[
 InterfaceBinding
  [Definition: An association between an Interface, a concrete protocol
  and/or a data format. An InterfaceBinding specifies the protocol
  and/or data format to be used in transmitting Messages defined by the
  associated Interface.]
 ]]
 http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-ws-desc-reqs-20021028/#normDefs

In 2.7.2 XML Representation of Binding Component
In http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-wsdl12-20030124/#Binding_XMLRep

 A [local name] of binding

 would read

 A [local name] of interfaceBinding