Re: proposal for restricting a service to a single interface

From: Arthur Ryman <ryman@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 12:56:41 -0400
To: "Amelia A. Lewis" <alewis@tibco.com>
Cc: www-ws-desc@w3.org, www-ws-desc-request@w3.org
Amy,

My reading of "alternative ways to invoke the service" is that there is
one state machine as you call it. I interpret semantic equivalence to mean
that the operations have the same effect on the state of the service.
Please forgive the following somewhat facetious example. In the following
I assume that the telephone number URI problem has been solved.

I can order pizza from Pizza, Pizza  in Toronto either by phone, or online
[1]. Therefore I have one PizzaInterface, two bindings, but one <service>.
I could place my order on the Web and then later phone in a correction.
I'd still get just one pizza delivered.

Putting 17 vendors into the same <service> violates that. For example,
there may be 17 pizza companies that all decide to implement the
PizzaInterface. They shouldn't be placed in some pizza portal <service>
element. If I order a pizza from Pizza Pizza, I don't have to pay Momma's
Pizza.

You may regard the proposed restriction as silly and of no value, but I
hope you'll grant that it is at least simple and clear.

[1]http://pizzapizza.com/indexlanguage.htm

Arthur Ryman