Re: Proposal for Describing Web Services that Refer to Other Web Services: R085

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 11:53:04 -0400
To: www-ws-desc@w3.org

Look, I was *agreeing* with Amelia; there exist lots of services whose
identifiers do not contain sufficient information to interact with the
service.

But for *all* of those systems, it is possible to design a URI scheme
(perhaps more than one) such that all the necessary information *is*
contained in the URIs (either by value or by reference to a standard, as
I mentioned).

I think I also mentioned that every successful large scale distributed
system (that I've looked it anyhow, which is many) has this property.
Consider the telephone system.  I only need an identifier (phone number)
and a client (phone), and I can call someone.  Web services, by using
http: URIs, but not HTTP's application interface (GET/PUT/POST/etc..),
do not have this property.

Oh, and just for clarity in case people were confused by Mike's comment,
I don't represent the W3C.

MB