RE: proposal for restricting a service to a single interface

From: Steve Graham <sggraham@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 14:47:31 -0400
To: Glen Daniels <gdaniels@macromedia.com>
Cc: James M Snell <jasnell@us.ibm.com>, "'www-ws-desc@w3.org'" <www-ws-desc@w3.org>, www-ws-desc-request@w3.org

Well, I for one find the proposal good, because a single interface makes it
easier to discover a service using a capabilities lookup.

Steve Graham
(919)254-0615 (T/L 444)
Emerging Technologies

                      Glen Daniels
                      <gdaniels@macrome        To:       James M Snell/Fresno/IBM@IBMUS
                      dia.com>                 cc:       "'www-ws-desc@w3.org'" <www-ws-desc@w3.org>
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  RE: proposal for restricting a service to a single interface
                      04/22/2003 02:18

Hi James!

I think the idea behind the change is that when you think of "a web
service" you typically imagine a coherent set of APIs which, though they
might be accessible via different bindings, are consistent in all cases.

Having a "service" be something that could implement interface A (but not
B) on one binding and interface B (but not A) on another binding doesn't
seem very useful unless you like confusion. :)  With this change, a service
would be an entity which performs a particular set of operations via one or
more bindings, rather than a potentially disconnected set of operations and

Myself, I like it.  Interestingly, I believe the Grid guys are psyched
about this change.