Re: A slice at a proposal for SOAP features/properties in WSDL

From: Amelia A Lewis <alewis@tibco.com>
Date: 25 Oct 2002 14:59:42 -0400
To: robin.berjon@expway.fr
Cc: "'www-ws-desc@w3.org'" <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

On Fri, 2002-10-25 at 11:46, Robin Berjon wrote:
> Amelia A Lewis wrote:
> > This is a rather belated response to Glen's proposal and Jean-Jacques
> > followup.
>
> This is definitely very interesting work. Just to clarify a point: do
> you think this could be used to alleviate the current interop problems
> that occur when one wishes to use different content codings (eg gzip
> over HTTP)? One would thus specify a feature to flag the fact that gzip
> is required/available and clients could operate on that basis, instead
> of stabbing in the dark or giving up on encoding as it is currently the
> case.

Yes.

I'm tempted to just leave it at that.  But, to be more elaborate: yes,
some sort of content compression feature could easily be defined, and
then in the WSDL, the service would express its requirements.

If this is a known use case, we should add it in and see if we can't
generate the underlying feature descriptions, etc., that would make its
unambiguous resolution in WSDL 1.2 certain.

Amy!
--
Amelia A. Lewis
Architect, TIBCO/Extensibility, Inc.