Re: A slice at a proposal for SOAP features/properties in WSDL

From: Amelia A Lewis <alewis@tibco.com>
Date: 25 Oct 2002 14:59:42 -0400
To: robin.berjon@expway.fr
Cc: "'www-ws-desc@w3.org'" <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

On Fri, 2002-10-25 at 11:46, Robin Berjon wrote:
> Amelia A Lewis wrote:
> > This is a rather belated response to Glen's proposal and Jean-Jacques
> > followup.
> This is definitely very interesting work. Just to clarify a point: do
> you think this could be used to alleviate the current interop problems
> that occur when one wishes to use different content codings (eg gzip
> over HTTP)? One would thus specify a feature to flag the fact that gzip
> is required/available and clients could operate on that basis, instead
> of stabbing in the dark or giving up on encoding as it is currently the
> case.

I'm tempted to just leave it at that.  But, to be more elaborate: yes,
some sort of content compression feature could easily be defined, and
then in the WSDL, the service would express its requirements.

If this is a known use case, we should add it in and see if we can't
generate the underlying feature descriptions, etc., that would make its
unambiguous resolution in WSDL 1.2 certain.

Amelia A. Lewis
Architect, TIBCO/Extensibility, Inc.