Re: A slice at a proposal for SOAP features/properties in WSDL

From: Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 10:35:41 +0100
To: Amelia A Lewis <alewis@tibco.com>
CC: "'www-ws-desc@w3.org'" <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

Amelia A Lewis wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-10-25 at 11:46, Robin Berjon wrote:
>>This is definitely very interesting work. Just to clarify a point: do
>>you think this could be used to alleviate the current interop problems
>>that occur when one wishes to use different content codings (eg gzip
>>over HTTP)? One would thus specify a feature to flag the fact that gzip
>>is required/available and clients could operate on that basis, instead
>>of stabbing in the dark or giving up on encoding as it is currently the
>>case.
>
> Yes.
>
> I'm tempted to just leave it at that.  But, to be more elaborate: yes,
> some sort of content compression feature could easily be defined, and
> then in the WSDL, the service would express its requirements.
>
> If this is a known use case, we should add it in and see if we can't
> generate the underlying feature descriptions, etc., that would make its
> unambiguous resolution in WSDL 1.2 certain.

I believe it's clearly an existing use case. See for instance
http://search.cpan.org/author/KULCHENKO/SOAP-Lite-0.55/lib/SOAP/Transport/HTTP.pm#COMPRESSION
which is basically reimplementing content negociation in a rather
hackish way (for lack of a better option). My current work on binary
SOAP messages would also be vastly simplified by this sort of option :)

--
Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Research Engineer, Expway