Re: Issue: Should Operations permit alternate and multiple responses

From: Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva@watson.ibm.com>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 01:21:04 +0600
To: <www-ws-desc@w3.org>
"Jeffrey Schlimmer" <jeffsch@windows.microsoft.com> writes:
> Just FYI, I spoke with another of the original WSDL authors, and they
> claim the inclusion of one-way output and solicit-response operations
> was deliberate, not a last-minute feature inclusion, and that they
> intended to enable the type of dualism between client and server
> description that we see addressed in various orchestration-like
> description languages.

Yes, you're right to some extent (I should've been more careful in
what I said; my mistake and apologies).

However, what I will say is that WSFL in fact used output-only
and solicit-response operations in precisely this way. However, as
we've heard from the WSFL authors, in (yet to be published)
follow-on work we have dropped using these operations and gone
for directional portTypes instead.

Sanjiva.