RE: issue: optional parts in <message>?

From: Jeffrey Schlimmer <jeffsch@windows.microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 16:13:08 -0700
To: <www-ws-desc@w3.org>
Weerawarana [mailto:sanjiva@watson.ibm.com] writes:
>The idea of parts was to recognize that while the operation takes
>a single message, it is actually taking a collection of things.
>Each thing (a part) represents a first-class thing it takes. So
>for example, if an ordering operation takes a purchase order
>document and a vcard document giving it information about where to
>send the stuff to, then that operation takes 2 things. In your model,
>I would be forced to model those two as a single document, which
>they are just not!

Are we suggesting that the various "parts" are a single document within
the computing environment of the client or server? Mais non. However,
they are part of a single "document" on the wire. Whether to describe
representational types with a WSDL-specific EII or to re-use XML Schema
is an engineering decision not a modeling issue.

(Such healthy discussion! It's so much nicer than mere administrivia.)

--Jeff