Re: Reference requirements

From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 14:11:05 -0500
To: "Liu, Kevin" <kevin.liu@sap.com>
CC: "'www-ws-desc@w3.org'" <www-ws-desc@w3.org>
"Liu, Kevin" wrote:

> Somebody needs to convince me that passing object by references really makes
> sense in the web services case:
> 1. Does it make sense to pass by references if the services is stateless? Is
> it a good idea to keep a web services stateful?

How could a web service be entirely stateless? If I submit a purchase
order and want to check up on its status a week later, doesn't that
require state? How do I even tell the company what customer I am so they
can check my payment history?

> 2. What's the benefit of passing by references vs.  passing by value across
> Internet ?

It's simply the case that almost all serious business problems involve
references to things that have already gone before. Those are