Re: WSDL1.1 bindings for SOAP over FTP!

From: Jean-Jacques Moreau <moreau@crf.canon.fr>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 18:10:19 +0200
To: Naresh Agarwal <nagarwal@in.firstrain.com>
CC: www-ws-desc@w3.org

Hi Naresh,

Please see below my answers to your questions. I would also like to point out that this WG will be looking at supporting SOAP 1.2. Since SOAP 1.2 has a built-in framework for (easily) supporting other
protocols, we will likely propagate some of these capabilities into WSDL 1.2, so that your job may become somewhat easier in the future.

Jean-Jacques.

Naresh Agarwal wrote:

> Hi
> WSDL 1.1 includes a binding for SOAP 1.1 endpoints. It specifies the binding, if SOAP is used along with HTTP.
> If i wish to use SOAP over FTP, then i need to make certain changes in SOAP bindings of WSDL.
> I have listed these changes below-
>
> 1) "tranport" attribute of <definitions>\<bindings>\<soap:bindings> element need to be changes. It is an URI. Can i use any unique string for this, or i need to get a standard URI from a body like IANA?

Pick your own, stable URI. Register it if you feel like it and you think there is a lot of interest for your binding. Make others are aware of it and use the same URI.

> 2)"soapAction" <definitions>\<bindings>\<operation>\<soap:operation> will no more be used.

soapAction is optional, so no problem here.

> 3) "location" attribute <definitions>\<service>\<port>\<soap:address> would be a FTP URL

Yes, anyURI can go here.

> Am i missing something? Do i need to make any other changes in the WSDL bindings?
> What is the procedure to get *such* new bindings standardized?

Probably the first step is to gather enough interest. Asking here like you've just done is perfectly fit.