Re: WSDL1.1 bindings for SOAP over FTP!

From: Jean-Jacques Moreau <moreau@crf.canon.fr>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 18:10:19 +0200
To: Naresh Agarwal <nagarwal@in.firstrain.com>
CC: www-ws-desc@w3.org

Hi Naresh,

Please see below my answers to your questions. I would also like to point out that this WG will be looking at supporting SOAP 1.2. Since SOAP 1.2 has a built-in framework for (easily) supporting other
protocols, we will likely propagate some of these capabilities into WSDL 1.2, so that your job may become somewhat easier in the future.

Naresh Agarwal wrote:

> Hi
> WSDL 1.1 includes a binding for SOAP 1.1 endpoints. It specifies the binding, if SOAP is used along with HTTP.
> If i wish to use SOAP over FTP, then i need to make certain changes in SOAP bindings of WSDL.
> I have listed these changes below-
> 1) "tranport" attribute of <definitions>\<bindings>\<soap:bindings> element need to be changes. It is an URI. Can i use any unique string for this, or i need to get a standard URI from a body like IANA?

Pick your own, stable URI. Register it if you feel like it and you think there is a lot of interest for your binding. Make others are aware of it and use the same URI.

> 2)"soapAction" <definitions>\<bindings>\<operation>\<soap:operation> will no more be used.

soapAction is optional, so no problem here.

> 3) "location" attribute <definitions>\<service>\<port>\<soap:address> would be a FTP URL

Yes, anyURI can go here.

> Am i missing something? Do i need to make any other changes in the WSDL bindings?
> What is the procedure to get *such* new bindings standardized?

Probably the first step is to gather enough interest. Asking here like you've just done is perfectly fit.