Re: Clarification on proposed requirement

From: Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 18:54:03 -0600
To: "Eric Prud'hommeaux" <eric@w3.org>
cc: David Booth <dbooth@w3.org>, www-rdf-interest@w3.org, www-ws-desc@w3.org
> On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 11:33:48AM -0600, Uche Ogbuji wrote:

> Whatever identifier we use, it would probably be practically
> constrained to work with existing, deployed XML. I expect that a
> document with xml-id-attr will be rejected by any conformant XML
> processor.

The theory behind these proposals are that a sanctioned XML spec would have to
declare such a PI or attribute as valid, within the reserved "xml" prefix, as
was done for "xml:space" and "xml:lang" (within XML 1.0), xml-stylesheet (in a
non-normative but widely implemented note) and xml:base (within a separate
REC).

> Defining an ID attribute in terms of either XSD or DTDs appears to
> require that WSDL processors implement that (XSD or DTD)
> recommendation. However, I don't think that's the case. If we adopt
> the fairly popular attribute name ID we get to leverage off a lot of
> XML processors that are using that convention in lieu of a
> schema-friendly XML ID specification.

Hmm.  Any XML processor that treats attributes named id or ID or any such name
as being of type ID without a DTD or XSD declaration to that effect is
non-compliant.  I doubt any respectable or mainstream XML processor does so
anymore.

Perhaps I misunderstand what you're suggesting.

> I think that our best bet is to declare a WSDL:ID element and specify
> it in terms of either or both the DTD and XSD ID elements. The
> evolution path to whatever ID mechansism we end up with will almost
> certainly be defined for us, and in a way that later generic
> processors will be able to work with WSDL data.

Whether or not this is suitable, I leave to the XML Protocol WG.  I just
wanted to point out one problem with trying to make WSDL quanmes of type ID.
Note that I didn't even bring up namespace scoping issues  :-)

--
Uche Ogbuji                   Principal Consultant     Fourthought, Inc.
uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com   http://Fourthought.com   +1 720 320 2046