Re: Requesting WSDL Files

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 10:45:10 -0400
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org

On Mon, Jul 05, 2004 at 02:33:07PM +0100, Savas Parastatidis wrote:

> > I just don't see how one could consider WS-RF RESTful .. can you
> > expand more please?
> >

> I agree with Sanjiva. I don't see how WS-RF can be considered as
> RESTful. I would say that WS-RF builds an object-oriented or
> resource-oriented view of the world using angle brackets but I wouldn't
> call that REST. But then again... that's just me :-)

Yup.

FWIW, using a URI convention isn't the best way to go about solving
the WSDL-discovery problem IMO.  A more RESTful solution (i.e. one
which respects REST's hypermedia-as-engine-of-application-state
constraint) would be to explicitly declare the relationship between
service and description, since those are really two resources.  So
one could imagine doing;

HEAD http://example.org/my-web-service/ HTTP/1.1

response;

HTTP/1.1 200 Ok
Interface-Description: http://example.org/my-web-service/interface

which tells us that the returned URI identifies the interface
description.  Then this request could be used to retrieve the WSDL;

GET http://example.org/my-web-service/interface HTTP/1.1
Accept: application/wsdl+xml

Cheers,

Mark.

  Seeking work on large scale application/data integration projects
  and/or the enabling infrastructure for same.