DO on WS vs DO

From: Paul Denning <pauld@mitre.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:34:15 -0500
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org

David Orchard's take:
http://www.pacificspirit.com/blog/2004/01/12/web_services_or_distributed_objects

He talks about "must ignore" and "touchless extensibility".
He talks about Schema <xs:any>, but that it must be put into the schemas
rather than default to must ignore.

Note that SOAP has "mustUnderstand" that can be powerful, especially if the
default is must ignore.

Dave concludes by saying "I do think that the community should provide an
easier model for creating and validating extensible xml languages."

I'm not sure what "constraints" we could provide in WSA to address this
concerns.

I always liked this 2002 article
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/03/20/endpoints.html
which states "Unfortunately, many XML-based applications are actually
loosely typed but tightly coupled, which is the worst combination.
This is one of the reasons adoption of XSD is a good idea."

Paul