RE: updated service model

It's funny, but I think I'm in almost the exact opposite mindset.  It
seems to me that we gave up long ago on the very strict, "whatsit
diagram" approach (I can never remember that name, possibly because I
don't really like them very much), and that a lot of the essential
content of the architecture is by nature fairly soft.  I'm willing to go
with that as a strength, not an embarrassment.  That is, by accepting a
certain fuzziness we can expand the scope and potential impact of the
architecture.  I hope.  For reasons like that I am very positive about
things that point toward some potential but are perhaps not as rigidly
defined as some might like.  It seems to me at this point that the more
exactly we define things the more likely we are to be wrong, because we
are just not smart enough to think through all the ramifications in
detail.  Or maybe it's not a reasonable expectation at all.  So I'm more
interested in vision or potential than in last-minute attempts to "get
it right" -- which I think from a narrow point of view are doomed to
failure.  I want to push where I think we can succeed.

However, like Mike, I'm also MOST certainly not in the frame of mind
that involves pushing this point of view real, real hard.  I just throw
it into the pot for what it is worth.

Another possibility, incidentally, is that Mike and I are not as far
apart on this as it might seem.  The indication for this is that I
sustpect that when applying our "mindsets" in specific situations our
specific results are not going to differ all that much.  So maybe we're
talking about different cuts through minds, in a sort of tomographic
sense.