Re: Proposed replacement text for Section 1.6

Mike:

On Jan 13, 2004, at 9:47 AM, Champion, Mike wrote:

> [...]

Sure, and we don't have a whole of lot time :)

>> On reflection, I would say that there is a equality in the
>> relationship between services and messages. That is at the
>> heart of the SOA
>> approach: neither is subservient to the other.
>
> Why aren't messages subservient to services?  The messages exist only
> for
> the purpose of invoking the service and telling the consumer the
> result, no?

The fundamental reason that messages must *not* be subservient to
services is that more than one service may process a given message.
There is no one-to-one relationship between messages and services.

>>  By identifying
>> messages as way points in a choreography seems to be a
>> productive way of capturing the essentials in the SOA. (And
>> it re-legitimizes the WS-CHOR
>> work!)
>

> This touches on another of my open action items -- is "choreography"
> really
> the right word here, given how WS-CHOR defines it?

I think it is actually. I haven't kept in touch with what they are
doing :(, but I would say it is consistent.
Frank