Re: non-outcry over eBay SOAP interace

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 20:06:44 -0500
To: Michael Champion <mc@xegesis.org>
Cc: "'''www-ws-arch@w3.org ' ' '" <www-ws-arch@w3.org>

> I'm curious -- why didn't eBay get the thrashing that you gave Google
> when they announced a non-REST API? Do you accept that eBay's needs are
> different and SOAP is appropriate, or were y'all just asleep at the
> switch <duck>

If their needs include interfacing with untrusted third parties over the
Internet, and they didn't adopt a generic interface (not necessarily
REST's uniform interface), then they screwed up, plain and simple.
They'll discover that in time (just like Groove did).

Furthermore, if a coarse grained, document exchange style is appropriate
for those systems, it was more than likely a mistake not to use the
uniform interface.

What can I say?  The Web is da bomb.

When eBay actually publishes these APIs, I'll be able to comment in more
detail.

Mark.