Re: REST wrap-up (was Re: Web Services Architecture Document

From: Michael Champion <mc@xegesis.org>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 15:27:33 -0500
To: '''www-ws-arch@w3.org ' ' ' <www-ws-arch@w3.org>

On Feb 6, 2004, at 3:11 PM, Thompson, Bryan B. wrote:

> Then, if a REST style is fine, are you only objecting to the native
> use of the HTTP protocol (vs SOAP tunneled through whatever)?

I'm not objecting to anything other than the notion there is One True
Way to do any of this.  REST has a place, SOAP/WSDL has a place,
SOAP-RPC has a place (albeit mainly in well-managed enterprise
environments).    I'm just a bit mystified by Mark's repeated queries
for clarification on why WSA doesn't build on a REST and only REST
foundation.  That's the issue that I *think* was originally  being
asked in this thread, and I think is very thoroughly answered in the
WSA Note and (extensively!) in the www-ws-arch archives.