RE: Web Services specs + Rant

With respect to both these additions and the members of Paul's list that
I am not familiar with -- I don't think it is reasonable to add them to
an annotated list without some explanation of what they are.  And, to be
honest, for me personally an unadorned list of names and URL's is not
really very useful.

The information that I think is useful is:

1 - A high level description of what the spec is about and its
objectives.

2 - Status -  e.g. submitted to standards body, in WG, accepted by
standards body

3 - Implementations - some idea who and how much it is being
implemented.

4 - Relationship to other specs - are there other specs on the list that
have overlapping function?  If so, are they interoperable and
complementary (at least potentially) or basically competing?

I am getting the impression that there are basically two, or perhaps
three, independent stacks of competing specs.  As a representative of an
end user company, may I please say that I REALLY don't like this and it
makes me mad at ALL the companies involved?  Let me make it perfectly
clear that I am no more angry at your competitor than I am at you, but I
don't like any of you very much -- in this respect.

The Reliable Messaging situation is, in my view, particularly egregious.
There is, in my opinion, no good reason why the companies involved in
those two specs could not have played with each other -- and, again in
my opinion, the world does not need two non-interoperable Web services
reliable messaging specs.  I fail to see how anyone wins in this
situation.  Eventually I suppose it will sort itself out, but in the
meantime ... everybody loses.  At least, everybody that has a stake in
implementing Web services in B2B.  Maybe that leaves WalMart and AS2 the
potential winners.

As long as I'm talking about this, I might mention that the choreography
situation that everyone keeps talking about seems a lot less poisonous.
It seems to me that although those two efforts obviously have a lot of
overlap, there is also plausible differentiation and evidence of a good
faith effort to coordinate.  Aaannnd ... the need for the specs is a lot
less immediate than RM.  There's no point in doing choreography if you
can't get businesses to use Web services at all (for B2B), and without
RM you've got a pretty hard, maybe impossible, sell at square one.