RE: Web Services specs + Rant

From: David Orchard <dorchard@bea.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 17:33:14 +0100
To: "'Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler)'" <RogerCutler@chevrontexaco.com>, "'Mark Little'" <mark.little@arjuna.com>, <www-ws-arch@w3.org>, "'Paul Denning'" <pauld@mitre.org>

> The Reliable Messaging situation is, in my view, particularly
> egregious.
> There is, in my opinion, no good reason why the companies involved in
> those two specs could not have played with each other -- and, again in
> my opinion, the world does not need two non-interoperable Web services
> reliable messaging specs.  I fail to see how anyone wins in this
> situation.  Eventually I suppose it will sort itself out, but in the
> meantime ... everybody loses.  At least, everybody that has a stake in
> implementing Web services in B2B.  Maybe that leaves WalMart
> and AS2 the
> potential winners.

While this situation might appear egregious, I don't think it really is.  At
the end of the day, customers such as yourself are probably going to buy
software products that support reliable messaging specifications.  From your
perspective if you are buying a product and using it to talk to a partner,
you and your partner only have a problem if your respective products support
different specifications and it is difficult to map between the
specifications.  I personally don't see this happening with reliable
messaging.

Cheers,
Dave