Re: Separate concepts for "service" and "targetResource?" (was RE: /service/@targetResource ?)

Walden Mathews wrote:

>Arkin,
>
>Thank you.  Your question points to the essence.  You don't
>care whose ATM you're using.  You don't care what software it
>runs.  The only think you care about is YOUR account and
>what you can do to it.  That's the resource.  It's the one thing
>in the picture with meaningful, long-lived identity.

Yes, but that's a different resource than the targetResource discussed
so far.

If I don't care which ATM I'm using then the ATM I use today and the ATM
you use today may be the same ATM, the same service. But you can't
switch the targetResource based on who is accessing the ATM. So my
account is not the targetResource, but "the ATM network" could be the
resource that links all these services together.

If my bank account would be the service-resource then I would run into
three problems:

1. The ATM would be multiple services, one for each account it can
manage, so you end up with ATMxAccount service definitions.
2. I would need to use one ATM to withdraw money from my checking
account, another to withdraw money from my credit card, another to get a
balance of my savings account
3. The ATM could only handle one account at a time, which would prevent
me from using it to move money from one account to another.

So tying the service definition to the actual resource behind that
service creates a complexity problem for me, and quite frankly doesn't
give me anything since I can already identify individual services by
their QName.

On the other hand, tying multiple services to some global, non-specific
resource to say they are all equivalent in some way, works for me, and
that's not something I can do given just the service QName. (Though, one
could say that I could use the service targetNamespace to the same effect)

arkin