Re: Mapping Specs to the Architecture

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 13:59:09 -0500
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org

An architecture can have many views, and some specs might not fit well
into many of them.  I seriously doubt one (or even two or three)
diagrams will suffice for a sufficiently large number of specs (ahem
8-), unless the diagram is explicitly designed with *just* those specs
in mind.

As an example, try and spot where RFC 2396 fits into this diagram;

http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/pubs/dissertation/rest_style.gif

IMO, if there were a "Web Service Architecture Primer", then this sort
of diagram might be well suited to it.  But I don't see it being very
important for the architecture document, though it would arguably be
of significant value to the folks asking questions of the "How does spec
FOO fit in?" variety.

If it was my decision, I'd say it shouldn't be done, if only because I
think there are more important matters to attend to.

Just my C$2c.