Comments on WSA "Architectural Style" section 1.2

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 15:32:49 -0500
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org

Hi,

I guess the last edit[1] that Eric sent around hasn't been integrated
into the mainline yet, but I have comments on it nonetheless.

Section 1.2 says some things that are incorrect, or need clarification,
about the relationship between REST and SOA;

"As applied to WSA, SOA uses the first three constraints; that is, it
uses URIs to identify resources[...]"

I believe that is incorrect.  The latter part of that paragraph, and the
following one, attempt to explain at some length about how only "Direct
SOA", and not "Mediated SOA" uses URIs to identify resources.  If one
derived style does, and one doesn't, then the style from which they are
both derived does not.

"its messages can be self-descriptive"

A hopefully minor nit, but if it's a constraint, then "can be" isn't
enough; it should say "its messages *are* self-descriptive".  Alternately,
if SOA messages aren't constrained to be self-descriptive, then this
shouldn't be listed as a constraint.

I've commented on the state issue before[2].  Whether session IDs are
stateful or stateless depends upon how they're used.  In my experience,
they're almost always stateful, though they can be used statelessly.  If
somebody wants to provide an example, I'd be happy to give my analysis
of it.

Thanks.

 [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-arch/2003Mar/att-0038/wd-wsa-arch-review2.htm
 [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-arch/2003Feb/0062