Re: Counting noses on "is SOAP and/or WSDL intrinsic to the definitio n of Web service"

I'd have to chime in with the following:

        +10 for interoperability
and
        +5 WSDL is necessary but other protocols (e.g. not necessarily
SOAP) can
                be used where supported

For purposes of defining WSA, I think that the answer has to be +10, after
all we are in the
Web Services Activity and there are two sister WG's focused on those
technologies.  One would
hope that WS_Choreography will be building off of WSDL and SOAP and not
something
else.

I think that the fact that WSDL allows you to describe bindings that are
not SOAP-based is an
added bonus. It just makes the technology that much more compelling.

Cheers,

Christopher Ferris
email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com
phone: +1 508 234 3624

www-ws-arch-request@w3.org wrote on 06/01/2003 12:03:45 PM:

> Chris said (and Ugo +1'd)
>
> > And, for the record, I am still very much opposed to any effort
> > to generalize "Web service" for purposes of this architecture document

> > that does not have SOAP and WSDL at its core. IMO, interoperability is
why
> > we are doing Web services in the first place, and you cannot achieve
> > interop if there are thirty one flavors of Web service technology
stacks.

> Since we're proposing text for section 1.5 of the document, and we're
doing
> triage on issues to see how close we are to consensus, let's see where
we
> stand on this one.  I'd appreciate hearing from everyone who cares about
> this (and if you want to debate someone else's position, please change
the
> subject line).
>
> Heres's what I would consider to be the range of plausible opinions:
(the
> ordering of some of the options is a bit arbitrary, but try to get into
the
> spirit of the thing here ...)
>
> -10 Neither are necessary; if two machines can agree on how to
> provide/consume services over the Web, they are doing "Web services."
>
> -5 Neither are necessary, but XML is. It's XML that provides the secret
> sauce that allows machines to communicate in a standards-based but
loosely
> coupled way over the Web
>
> 0  SOAP or WSDL is necessary, it depends on the details of the
application

> +1 WSDL is necessary, but not SOAP
>
> +2 SOAP is necessary, but not WSDL
>
> +5 Both are necessary "conceptually" but not literally.
>
> +10 Both are necessary, at least as far as the scope of the WSA document
is
> concerned.
>
> "Mu" [1] would also be an acceptable vote; that would indicate your
sense
> that this scale is meaningless, or orthogonal to your conception of what
is
> important.  I would imagine that Mark B. would be in the "mu" position,
but
> I could be wrong :-)
>
> A few scenarios that might help:
>
> Would something like photos.yahoo.com be a "web service"  if they
documented
> their URLs and POST formats well enough for programmers to use the
service?
> Such a service would allow one to use HTTP POST to put images in a
gallery
> and then, depending on the query parameters in the URI, get them back in
> difference sizes, formats, orientations, etc.   If you think this is a
Web
> service, I think you would vote -10.
>
> Would something like photos.yahoo.com that only worked with SVG images
and
> used XQuery (extended with operations to store data as well as query it)
be
> a "Web service?"  If so, would would probably vote -5
>
> Would the "photos" service sketched out above be a Web service if they
>
> - Published either a SOAP or a WSDL interface description?  Vote 0
> - Published a WSDL description of how to access the service (with or
without
> SOAP)? Vote +1
> - Defined a SOAP interface and documented it with example code? Vote +2
> - Published a DAML-S description (or some other formal language
description)
> of both the data formats and protocols needed to access the service?
Vote