RE: Counting noses on "is SOAP and/or WSDL intrinsic to the definition of Web service"

+10.

The open ended nature of SOAP and WSDL bindings should provide plenty of flexibility for alternatives other than the classical WSDL binding to SOAP over HTTP.

I also think that, using Mike's words, "there is not much difference between the +5 and the +10 positions, because SOAP 1.2 and WSDL 1.2 are rich and extensible enough to encompass things like RESTful and Semantic Web applications". In fact, SOAP 1.2 Web Method feature supports a RESTful model, and the WSD group is discussing how to integrate RDF in WSDL 1.2 as we speak.

At this point in time, I believe any decision of extending WSA's foundations beyond SOAP and WSDL would create confusion in the industry and undermine the main reason for Web services existence, i.e. interoperability.

If at a certain point in the future it became evident that the industry needed something more than SOAP and WSDL as WS foundation, I would certainly be happy to contemplate a new version of WSA that took that into account.

Ugo