Re: Binding

From: Miles Sabin <miles@milessabin.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 16:07:04 +0000
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org

Mark Baker wrote,
> On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 03:23:15PM +0000, Miles Sabin wrote:
> > I'd like you to explain _in_detail_ why these two conditions are
> > less demanding than the corresponding conditions for (2').
>
> Ok, here goes ...
>
> Here's what a RESTful client needs to know in order to get the data;
>
> - URI
> - HTTP GET
>
> Here's what a Web services client needs to know in order to get the
> data;
>
> - URI
> - what "getLastSharePriceOfIBM" means

Frankly, this is just smoke and mirrors.

The URI in the REST case contains the substring "/ibm/lastshareprice".
It needs to know what that substring means just as much (or as little)
as the RESTless client needs to know what "getLastSharePriceOfIBM"
means.

Getting rid of a priori knowledge isn't as easy as string concatenation.

Is this really the best you can do? If it is, then I spy a naked
emperor.

Cheers,

Miles