Re: Business Protocol (was: Application Protocol Definition)

From: bhaugen <linkage@interaccess.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 11:42:30 -0600
To: "Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler)" <RogerCutler@chevrontexaco.com>
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org

Roger Cutler wrote:

> This conversation is getting a bit cryptic, at least to me.

Sorry.  But the next paragraph looks like you got my point.
(Others may have had other points._

> Incidentally, I looked at the source you linked to below
> (http://www.gldialtone.com/UCCformation.htm) and I find it
> pretty interesting.  It occurs to me that it might be amusing
> for someone with a background in this sort of thing to sit down
> some rainy Saturday afternoon and illustrate how the five
> elements of an offer (defined as "the demonstration of
> willingness to enter into a contract") can be accomplished
> by a Web service.

More than just amusing, if you want to do business.

> I think that the definition of the
> contract itself is probably beyond a reasonable present
> scope of Web services

An order is a contract.
A Purchase Order is an offer in an offer-acceptance
business protocol.
So people are doing it via EDI and RNet all the time.

(Oil field service contracts are something else again...)

-Bob Haugen