RE: Snapshot of Web Services Glossary

This seems close enough for our immediate purposes.  Truly precise
definitions will not be nailed down EVER, because the meanings will change
as the world around us changes.

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci213080,00.html

"2) In program-to-program communication, synchronous communication requires
that each end of an exchange of communication respond in turn without
initiating a new communication. A typical activity that might use a
synchronous protocol would be a transmission of files from one point to
another. As each transmission is received, a response is returned indicating
success or the need to resend. Each successive transmission of data requires
a response to the previous transmission before a new one can be initiated.
Synchronous program communication is contrasted with asynchronous program
communication. "

" In computer programs, asynchronous operation means that a process operates
independently of other processes, whereas synchronous operation means that
the process runs only as a result of some other process being completed or
handing off operation. A typical activity that might use a synchronous