RE: Visibility (was Re: Introducing the Service Oriented Architec tural style, and it's constraints and properties.

The only part I disagree with is "much" in "much more difficult."   Sure
it's easier to write a firewall that only looks at HTTP headers and not the
SOAP content of a message, but it's do-able to build XML/SOAP-aware
firewalls, it's being done, and this is practical mainly because XML and
SOAP provide a framework that is flexible enough to be useful for most
anything but "visible" via standard XML toolkits.

Obviously this extends to routers as well; SOAP-aware routers would work
with any protocol -- FTP, SMTP, BEEP, TCP/IP, MQ -- as well as HTTP.  XML
standards (e.g. Xpath) allow routing based on message content as well as the
headers.  I think of this as a feature to be valued, e.g. in spam filters.

So again, I agree that "visibility" is an important property, but what
powers it is *standards*, not just HTTP.