RE: Introducing the Service Oriented Architectural style, and it's constraints and properties.

From: David Orchard <dorchard@bea.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 13:36:40 -0800
To: <www-ws-arch@w3.org>
For the record, the TAG had an action item to look into defining a Query
method, which would examine the feasibility of a GET method with a body.
[1] But as of the last f2f, that was removed.  There isn't an explicit
action or decision recorded (not sure why) but that's what happened.  As I
recall the discussion, the rationale was that there's not a hope that HTTP
is realistically going to change, so why bother.  Further, another thought
was that it doesn't seem likely that a cache would be created that would use
the body to determine whether to retrieve the cached representation - the
cache would need to look into the body to figure out if it had a match on
the query parameters.  As in, HTTP GET already hits arguably the best ever
80/20 point in the history of software, so why would folks upgrade their
servers and clients?

Maybe the WS-Arch group should have an issue around "Need for GET semantics
with information in the body", and simply ask for a formal resolution of
this.

Cheers,
Dave

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/open-summary.html#whenToUseGet-7