RE: Layers in the WSA (was RE: [Fwd: UN/CEFACT TMG Releases e-Busines s Architecture Technical Specification for Public Review])

From: Assaf Arkin <arkin@intalio.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 21:24:11 -0800
To: "Duane Nickull" <duane@xmlglobal.com>, <www-ws-arch@w3.org>

> > It seems a bit like asking IP
> > to understand HTTP.  On the other hand, maybe our textbook notions of
> > protocol layering are not holding up in the Real World, e.g. firewalls
> > arguably *should* understand IP, TCP, HTTP, SOAP, SAML,
> WS-Security, etc.
> > and their interrelationships.
> >>>>>>>>>>>
> This was driven out of a set of business requirements collected by over
> 2000 contributors around the globe.  The messaging layer does not need
> to understand what the layers up the stack are doing, just be capable of
> enforcing those rules of engagement.  Therefore,  a transport level
> acknowledgement should not to be construed as a business acceptance of
> the message etc etc.

A lot of people are representing the position that in ebXML the messaging
layer takes care of business level semantics, and if I understand your
position the messaging layer simply takes care of the operational semantic,
which is used to support the business requirement to the best of its
ability. I think that point needs to be clarified.

arkin