Re: Why "web services architecture" is a bit of a misnomer

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 12:25:55 -0500
To: "Champion, Mike" <Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com>
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 11:12:13AM -0500, Champion, Mike wrote:
> I am saying that we've learned
> that there is not a single reference architecture for web services that is
> possible even in principle -- the web services technologies are more of a
> "cloud" that can take on many shapes than a "stack" with one canonical
> shape.  That's not the outcome we anticipated two years ago, but I think it
> is a valuable conclusion [remember that this is my conclusion, not the WG's]
> that was not obvious two years ago.

Bravo.

When I went on (and on and on ... 8-) about the value of architectural
constraints, this is what I was getting at;  by relaxing constraints one
builds a bigger and bigger umbrella under which more and more
architectural styles can be included.  But in doing so, the value of the
umbrella style approaches zero.

Mark.