From: Burdett, David [mailto:david.burdett@commerceone.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2003 3:27 PM
To: Newcomer, Eric; Walden Mathews; Champion, Mike; Www-Ws-Arch@W3. Org
Subject: RE: Is This a Web Service?

Eric

In many ways I like your definition except that it does not mention ANY of the well known "web services standards" such as SOAP, WSDL and UDDI. This makes me think that perhaps there are two steps to defining a web serivice ...

1. Define a web service in a standards neutral way - along the lines of your definition or some variant. This defines WHAT a web service is
2. Define sets of standards that can implement a Web Service. This defines HOW you implement a web service

Drawing an analogy to creating a building, the first is like the architects drawing of the end result. The second is the result of the architect and the quantity survey coming up with detailed plans of how the building will be built. They are both valid "architectural" activities.

I also think that agreeing on the first step might make it easier to come up with the second. However it also raises the issue of how you use standards together which WS-I is doing, should this be our perogative?

David