Re: Is This a Web Service?

I'm thinking this portion of the many thread splinters occurring over
the last 24 hours may be the most important.  Richard and Jim are
describing important additional use cases and requirements for a Web
service definition.

I find any Web service definition that includes straightforward, legacy
CGI scripts to be overly inclusive and unhelpful when discussing the
emerging architecture of interest to this WG.  I also believe "must be
describable using WSDL" is almost a tautology (excludes almost nothing)
and is, when used alone, similarly unhelpful.  To some points on this
thread and other portions of the web we're spinning, any definition so
abstract as to include HTTP GET of an HTML page intended for humans (for
example) will not satisfy our requirements.  We need a definition that
(to Roger's original point) at least answers "no" once in a while when
used to answer "is this a web service?".

We need to find a definition more concrete than what's in the current
Architecture and Requirements documents to inform later decisions about
the actual architecture and to be useful.  Going the other way, we need
to avoid counter proposals that either delve below a line where we can
reach consensus or which ignore ignore important considerations others
in the group have raised.  As Jim described, marginalisation may arise
from attempting to make our definition too concrete and specific.

That said, I can see an architectural nicety to some of the taxonomies
described elsewhere.  Subsets of the one definition we find may be
interesting in specific areas of the architecture.  However, let's focus
on the single definition and getting it at a useful level before we
start splitting it up.

thanx,
	doug