RE: Is This a Web Service?

From: <Richard.Chennault@kp.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 09:57:13 -0700
To: jim.webber@arjuna.com
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org, www-ws-arch-request@w3.org
+1 to what Jim states.

To me a Web Service requires WSDL and XML.   If WSDL and XML are not
involved then one could theorize that we have always had web-services once
CGI's were born.

Rregards,

Richard D. Chennault

Kaiser Permanente

"Jim Webber" <jim.webber@arjuna.com>
Sent by: www-ws-arch-request@w3.org
04/15/2003 08:23 AM

        To:     <www-ws-arch@w3.org>, <www-ws-arch-request@w3.org>
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: Is This a Web Service?

Roger:

> Do other people think that if it doesn't use WSDL it's not a
> Web service?  I personally don't like this at all.

Nor do I, but then I have the seemingly contrarian view that SOAP is
implicitly involved :-) (and not necessarily anything to do with the Web).

While I can appreciate that this group does not necessarily have to have a
commercially-facing outlook, we are at risk of marginalisation if the
architecture fragments into X different flavours of Web services.

Jim