RE: Label for Top Node of "triangle diagram"

+1

I want to emphasize that Heather is talking about ROLES here, not things,
not
mechanisms. A role is an abstraction as are the other nodes (roles) in the
triangle
diagram.

Cheers,

Christopher Ferris
email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com
phone: +1 508 234 3624

Heather Kreger wrote on 09/27/2002 03:46:56 PM:

> The triangle is a logical look at some roles:
> requester/provider/registry-cloud-thing, some communications: publish,
> find, interact, and some artifacts: service, service description.
>
> The fact that you can implement any of these as a web service itself is
> orthogonal.
>
> Other things we seem to be introducting, like intermediaries, can also
be
> realized as web services. In fact, an intermediary might function both
as
> an intermediary and a useful service in his own right accessed directly
by
> other web service requesters.
>
> And yes, I can seem many useful ways to realize some of our other roles
as
> web services (security manager? etc.)
>
> This does not break my head. This just means that the fundamental
> characteristics we define for web services can be shared by other roles
as
> well. Its a feature, not a bug. :-)
>
> Heather Kreger
> Web Services Lead Architect
> STSM, SWG Emerging Technology
> kreger@us.ibm.com
> 919-543-3211 (t/l 441)  cell:919-496-9572
>

> "Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler)" <RogerCutler@ChevronTexaco.com>@w3.org on
> 09/27/2002 02:50:02 PM
>
> Sent by:    www-ws-arch-request@w3.org
>

> To:    "'Dave Hollander'" <dmh@contivo.com>, www-ws-arch@w3.org
> cc:
> Subject:    RE: Label for Top Node of "triangle diagram"
>

> You guys are making my head hurt.  It just became clear to me that the
> "cloud" is, itself, a web service.  So somehow we are defining web
services
> in some kind of recursive way?
>
> Ouch!
>
> I'm liking the triangle less an less by the minute.  Sorry -- maybe I'm
> just
> misunderstanding here, but ...
>
> If the cloud is, in fact, a web service -- then it seems to me that
there
> are two and only two reasonable diagrams for a web service, the cloud
> simply
> being a replication of one of these fundamental components used for the
> special purpose of discovering and describing the availability of web
> services:
>
> 1)Requestor/Receiver <-> Responder
>
> 2)Requestor -> Responder -> Receiver

That
> is
> why i quoted "place", but apparently I was not clear. I think we
> intuitively
> knew this when we agreed that a --cloud-- was the best graphical icon
for
> this node.
>
> Advertising - web pages advertise by being part of a hypertext network.
If
> want a search engine to find my page, I have to
> make sure it is either in its explicit listing of pages (registry) or
> linked
> to from a page that is.
>
> Web services are not hypertext--there is no way to start at a
> node and explore links described at that node. Hence they need to
advertise
> in some form...either by phone, email to other service developers or
> describe themselves to a well known mechanism (typically a registry).
>

> Description - I am very interested in where and how people
> believe description happens. Is it an atomic transaction-- fully
described
> in one interchange--or composite? Who is
> responsible for what roles? How can you use a --cloud-- to
> find a service if the --cloud-- does not provide some description? Will
we
> have to inquire directly to each service to select between them?  Is
> description narrowly defined as the data in WSDL or does it include UDDI
> concepts and others? I prefer the broader sense.
>

> "Advertising and Discovery Mechanisms" - I could live with this but am
not
> afraid to use "services" either. I think we should describe them as
> services, and as we add security, management, QOS etc we will end up
> describing services. But that is a debate for a later day.
>

> DaveH

Mechanism" ?