Re: Intermediaries - various cases

On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 09:32:51AM -0700, Ugo Corda wrote:
> >It's a new message when it progresses any further, since the transfer
> contract with the sender has been fulfilled.
>
> But is it possible to objectively identify this transfer contract?

Sure, it's between the initial sender and the specified ultimate
recipient.

> In the
> case of the pub/sub node, the sender's contract might be fulfilled by its
> interaction with the pub/sub node (the pub/sub node is the ultimate
> receiver).

Right.

> Or I could see the ultimate delivery of the message to the
> subscribers as part of the sender's contract (the pub/sub node is just an
> intermediary).

"ultimate" is a deceptive word in the gateway case.  I believe it refers
to the the ultimate recipient as specified by the initial sender.  This
is consistent with SOAP 1.2's use of the word, AFAICT.  It also relates
to issue #2;

http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/arch/2/issues/wsa-issues.html#x2

and to an even more profound issue about whether a SOAP envelope is
necessarily a message.  But I won't raise that one. 8-)

> How is this going to be determined? Is it just something in
> the eye of the beholder?
>
> >Hmm, perhaps the SOAP 1.2 spec could be clearer.
>
> I completely agree with that.

I just submitted the following to xmlp-comments;

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xmlp-comments/2002Sep/0081