RE: Label for Top Node of "triangle diagram"

From: Ricky Ho <riho@cisco.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 10:02:38 -0700
To: Dave Hollander <dmh@contivo.com>, www-ws-arch@w3.org

I think "registry" (in the way you describe it) is one way to implement a
"discovery" mechanism.  The "roles" that you describe about a "registry"
implies a centralized place where information is kept.  But "registry"
shouldn't be the ONLY way to implement discovery.  For example, a
peer-to-peer approach can be used to implement the discovery mechanism
...  My response inline ...

>The roles, as I understand them, are:
>1) a "place" to advertise a service's availability

[Ricky]
Do we really require the service to explicitly "ADVERTISE" its availability
in a particular "PLACE" ?  Think about a web page, you don't need to
advertise it and still able to be found in search engine.  What can't the
service provider be using similar mechanism ?

>2) an agency that brokers services' descriptions

[Ricky]
Like WSIL, we can discover the service's description at the endpoint.  It
doesn't have to be in a separate agency.

>3) a "place" to discover what services are availabile

[Ricky]
Again, it doesn't has to be "a place"

>Are these right?
>
>If so, my preferences:
>
>1) Advertising and Discovery Services

[Ricky]
By the term "service", are you implying it has a WSDL description, and a
particular endpoint address where the service is provided ?
Or are we actually talking about an "Advertising and Discovery Mechanism" ?

>2) Services Description and Discovery

[Ricky]
They sounds to be different animals.

>3) Services Registries

[Ricky]
This sounds to me strongly implying a "separate place" which I don't think
is a necessary distinction.

Rgds, Ricky