-- Igor Sedukhin .. (igor.sedukhin@ca.com)

From: Sedukhin, Igor
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2002 11:44 AM
To: 'Mark Potts'; Heather Kreger; Eckert, Zulah Karen; Willits, Jim;
Colleen Evans; Husband, Yin-Leng; Sandeep Kumar; Prasad Yendluri
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org; MarkPerreira
Subject: RE: [MTF] Updated WS Management Architecture concepts

Mark,

I think I got it. So, the "Abstract" Service will represent functional
semantics (e.g. a submission of purchase order) and Service Instance
will represent operational semantics (e.g. protocols to use, required
security headers, etc.). We can stick all the business metrics and other
common stuff on the "Abstract" Service (e.g. "how much money all your
Service Instances made for me").

I have attempted to incorporate the above into the concepts and
conceptual models in UML. Attached is the new doc (ZIP, as it is
becoming too large). I named "Abstract" Service, just the Service.

A few things that I had to make sure:

*	Service has a one-to many navigable binary association to its
Service Instances. I don't think aggregation would reflect the reality
and generalization certainly won't do it as well. Navigable associations
are very good for management models. I specifically didn't want to make
Service Instance a kind of a Service (i.e. extension) because then for
every Service Instance "operable object" you would have a separate
Service "functional base" and that would preclude management of the same
"functional base".

*	Clients communicate to Service Instances, and therefore the
proper association stays there.

*	I still think that Proxy Service is a kind of Hosted Service
that is a kind of Service Instance that knows about the other Service
Instance it represents. :)

*	Note that Proxy Service can represent multiple other Service
Instances (association in the model is one to many). This gets you to
the service aggregation and root cause analysis at the level where
knowledge of process management is not necessary. The choreography
engine could therefore merely point out what service instances were
aggregated without the specific knowledge of the process flow.

*	I think your notion of a Host is actually an Execution
Environment in what we've agreed upon earlier with the TF. In other
words EE is that abstract hosting environment that contains any kind of
Service Instances. Those Instances can be kind of anything you derive
from Service Instance. Therefore Intermediary is a kind of EE. Someone
could extend the basic EE and define things like Application Server, or
what have you.

-- Igor Sedukhin .. (igor.sedukhin@ca.com)