Re: Reading list for September Face to Face meeting

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 11:09:07PM -0700, David Orchard wrote:
> My principle is that the
> TAG work is pretty darned definitive on whatever it's chosen to document,

Right.

> and anything not ( perhaps yet ) endorsed by the TAG is not part of the web
> architecture.

Had I known that the existence of the TAG was going to nullify any
architectural descriptions that preceeded its deliverables, I would have
voted it against its chartering.  Sheesh! 8-O  Surely you're not
serious?

>  Though I admittedly have a biased perspective as an elected
> TAG member.  I would certainly strongly object to a w3c wg endorsing as part
> of web architecture material that had not been approved by the TAG, that
> constitutes the elected and appointed people responsible for web arch
> documentation, even though there appear to be some second class citizens in
> the TAG from a referenceability perspective in some people's minds.  That
> you don't acknowledge the TAG work on REST is perplexing, given Roy and the
> TAG's approval of said material.

The TAG's work in describing REST (i.e. yours) is extremely valuable,
but it's also just the snowball on the tip of the iceberg.  What's in
the document right now isn't enough for us to take much action on, nor
be able to reasonably evaluate our architecture against.  I'm sure it
will be possible in the future as the document gets filled out, and REST
constraints and properties are incorporated.  But that doesn't mean that
we don't have constraints right now.  I understand that would help your
position, since you'd only have an incomplete set of constraints to work
with, but I don't believe it's in the best interest of this WG, the W3C
at large, or the Web itself, that we don't treat REST as authoritative.