RE: WS-I Basic Profile Working Group Draft published

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher B Ferris [mailto:chrisfer@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2002 11:35 AM
To: xml-dist-app@w3.org; www-ws-desc@w3.org; www-ws-arch@w3.org
Subject: FYI: WS-I Basic Profile Working Group Draft published

WS-I just published its first Working Group Draft of the Basic Profile at:

        http://www.ws-i.org/Profiles/Basic/2002-10/BasicProfile-1.0-WGD.htm

 There's a rather interesting article that discusses what this means for
various features of SOAP and the SOAP community at
http://www.fawcette.com/xmlmag/2002_10/online/webservices_rjennings_10_21_02
/default_pf.asp
<http://www.fawcette.com/xmlmag/2002_10/online/webservices_rjennings_10_21_0
2/default_pf.asp>

'"rpc/encoded is dead; long live document/literal!" is the Web Services
Interoperability (WS-I) Organization's rallying cry for Web service
developers and SOAP toolkit implementers. After more than a year of
cross-product rpc/encoded testing by the SOAP Builders group, WS-I.org's
Basic Profile Working Group (BPWG) has concluded that SOAP 1.1 Section 5
encoding poses insurmountable interoperability challenges. WS-I's stance
also reflects an important SOAP 1.2 change to the SOAP 1.1 specification:
"Support of the SOAP 1.2 encodings and SOAP 1.2 RPC conventions are
optional"'

'WS-I's real challenge will come when establishing interoperability
requirements for SOAP 1.2, WSDL 1.2, and WS-Security implementations, plus
controversial non-standards-track specs, such as WS- Routing'