RE: Gateways

From: Ugo Corda <UCorda@SeeBeyond.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 10:02:24 -0700
To: "'Mark Baker'" <distobj@acm.org>
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org

>So an HTTP-to-SMTP gateway would be responsible for matching up HTTP
>methods and SMTP methods as close as it could, presumably allowing
>inbound HTTP POSTs to go out as SMTP DATA requests (with lots of header
>futzing).

Yes, and taking that at the SOAP level, a SOAP node could receive SOAP
messages traveling over HTTP and forward them to another SOAP node over
SMTP. Is that still a gateway? Whatever it is called, it should be a SOAP
intermediary, right? Switching the underlying protocol has always been one
of the SOAP scenarios and, if I remember well, the SOAP nodes where that
occurs are SOAP intermediaries.

Ugo