Event notification with the uniform interface constraint

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 13:00:10 -0400
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org

As a followup to DavidB's suggestion of examples, I re-offer my
proposal to fix the current "event notification" usage scenario[1].

The current example uses the following request message;

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<env:Envelope xmlns:env="http://www.w3.org/2002/06/soap-envelope">
  <env:Body>
    <s:StockNotificationSubscription xmlns:s="http://example.org/2001/06/subscribe">
      <s:Notify>PRICE</s:Notify>
      <s:Notify>VOLUME</s:Notfy>
      <s:Notify>TIMESTAMP</s:Notfy>
      <s:When>
        <s:Company>BigCo</s:Company>
        <s:Price range="GreaterThan">100</s:Price>
      </s:When>
    </s:StockNotificationSubscription>
  </env:Body>
</env:Envelope>

and my suggestion, which uses the uniform interface constraint (because
the method, MONITOR, is applicable to all resources) is;

MONITOR http://example.org/stockquote/BigCo HTTP/1.1
Host: example.org
[blank line]
<monitor xmlns="http://example.org/2001/06/subscribe">
      <Notify>PRICE</Notify>
      <Notify>VOLUME</Notify>
      <Notify>TIMESTAMP</Notify>
      <When>
        <Price range="GreaterThan">100</Price>
      </When>
</monitor>

(which could easily be SOAPified)

Perhaps we could talk about the pros and cons of each approach?

 [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-ws-arch-scenarios-20020730/#S200