Re: Web Service Object Support

Roger,

Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler) wrote:
> I think that WSDL does not explicitly expose objects on the web.

Nor does SOAP. Some believe XML documents are sufficient.

 > One could imagine a web service protocol

I'm confused. AFAIK, WSDL is not a protocol. Do you mean SOAP?

> (which might be part of a web
> services architecture??) that does this, but WSDL is not it.  There is
> nothing in WSDL, for example, that explicitly or even implicitly
> supports "Dog and Cat interfaces implement the Animal interface".

This is currently being debated within the WSD WG. A first
proposal is available at [1].

> Moreover, WSDL does not explicitly support recognizing the following
> three calls and sending them to different methods appropriately:
>
> Foo(int)
> Foo(int, int)
> Foo(float)

The WSD WG has decided to not allow method overloading in WSDL 1.2.

I hope this helps,

Jean-Jacques.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2002Oct/0000.html