From: David Booth [mailto:dbooth@w3.org]
Sent: Monday, September 30, 2002 5:00 PM
To: Jeff Mischkinsky
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org; Mark Baker; David Orchard
Subject: Re: Completeness

[snip]

Personally, I think more concrete examples would be helpful.  It is hard to
draw concrete conclusions from abstract arguments.  For example, I found it
very helpful a while back when David Orchard mentioned a Web Service
example and Paul Prescod explained, point-wise, how it could benefit by
adding a REST discipline to it:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-arch/2002Jul/0270.html .

Some seem to be saying that REST is not always the best choice, even if
everything can be done in a RESTful way.  Others seem to argue that you can
do it all with REST and have greater benefits.  I would find it helpful if:
(a) David Orchard or someone would show a simple, specific Web Service
application that you think is NOT well suited to REST, and explain why; and
then (b) Mark Baker or someone else would explain specifically how and why
they think it could benefit by being implemented in a RESTful way. .

--
David Booth
W3C Fellow / Hewlett-Packard