Re: WSD Requirements: add a requirement about safe and idempotent characteristics

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 03:14:37PM -0800, Martin Chapman wrote:
> Now I'm not saying whether it's good or bad to have side effects on a
> get, but nobody can dictate what people want their applications to do.

I'll have to defer to RFC 2616 on this;

  "Naturally, it is not possible to ensure that the server does not
   generate side-effects as a result of performing a GET request; in
   fact, some dynamic resources consider that a feature. The important
   distinction here is that the user did not request the side-effects,
   so therefore cannot be held accountable for them."
    - RFC 2616, section 9.1.1

Mark Baker.  Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA.   http://www.markbaker.ca

   Will distribute objects for food