Re: D-AR003.1

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 21:08:57 -0400
To: "Champion, Mike" <Mike.Champion@softwareag-usa.com>
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 05:23:49PM -0400, Champion, Mike wrote:
> Thanks for the clarification.  Still, "web services" are frequently touted
> for "behind the firewall" application integration.   That (along with supply
> chain integration applications where a "web of trust" already exists)
> describes, as far as I know, the overwhelming majority of actual "web
> services" deployments to date.

I agree.

>Does the WSA *really* want to suggest that
> this is a bad idea?

Even though I believe this, I don't feel a need for us to say it.  My
primary concern is that we not make architectural requirements that
IMO require that the architecture will only be usable behind a firewall.
I believe that D-AR003.1 is such a requirement.

> to go. I don't think the economic/political/psychological climate is right
> for Yet Another Next Big Thing, so I'm betting on REST for web services
> "outside the firewall." [My personal opinion, not the corporate line!]

Good to hear!

> So, I see both sets of use cases, and the requirements they imply, as
> essential to the WSA.

I'm ok with seeing both approaches supported.  So how about this?

"supports Web service development where the semantics of underlying
application protocols are exposed, but does not require that a Web
service use those semantics"