RE: D-AR003.1

Thanks for the clarification.  Still, "web services" are frequently touted
for "behind the firewall" application integration.   That (along with supply
chain integration applications where a "web of trust" already exists)
describes, as far as I know, the overwhelming majority of actual "web
services" deployments to date. Does the WSA *really* want to suggest that
this is a bad idea?

I strongly agree that Mark's scenarios (where there is no trusted
relationship between the parties, where coordination of interface changes is
impractical, where the TCP connections are over the "internet" rather than
an "intranet") are also critical to our requirements. I agree with most of
what he says IF we restrict the use cases to services offered to anyone over
the public Web:  Either a whole new protocol stack built on top of SOAP
(providing routing, cacheing, security, transactions) is developed and
widely deployed ... or else RESTful web services are the only practical way
to go. I don't think the economic/political/psychological climate is right
for Yet Another Next Big Thing, so I'm betting on REST for web services
"outside the firewall." [My personal opinion, not the corporate line!]

So, I see both sets of use cases, and the requirements they imply, as
essential to the WSA.