Re: Web services and the Semantic Web

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 11:16:33 -0400
To: Eric Newcomer <eric.newcomer@iona.com>
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org
On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 07:22:10AM -0400, Eric Newcomer wrote:
> I agree with the requirement to be consistent with existing Web
> architecture, I don't think anyone disagrees with that, but I think we also
> need to be consistent with SOAP and WSDL also, and build from there rather
> than drag the whole discussion back down to first principles again.

That's a reasonable summation Eric, but I hope you understand my
position; that it is impossible to be consistent with the existing
Web architecture by tunnelling over HTTP.

Also, I don't hate SOAP, I just hate how most people use it.  The work
I did in XMLP to ensure that SOAP could be used in a Web architecture
friendly manner, won't matter one iota if *we* don't use it this way,
and provide guidance to others on how to use it this way.