RE: D-AC009.2 discussion points and proposal(s)

Not all companies put their comments on the public list.  The votes were
announced by the director.

Are you attempting to re-open the issue?  I don't really see what new
information would cause the membership to re-open this.

Cheers,
Dave

Michael Wilson Chair, CLRC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory:
"CLRC views the service descriptions as requiring graph beyond hierarchy
structure and therefore RDF would be more appropriate than XML Schema."

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ac-forum/2001JulSep/0185.html
Oisin Hurley, Iona:
"While the Web Services and Semantic Web activities may both live quite
happily as isolated works, I think there is a potential great benefit in
studying and effecting their intersection. However I do not think that this
benefit will be immediately obvious or executable, so I would say that both
activities should come to a certain level of maturity before a initiative
is undertaken to find cross-applications."

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ac-forum/2001JulSep/0184.html :
Renato Iannella, IPR Systems:
"IPR Systems would strongly prefer to see any proposed Activity for a Web
services language to be based on XML Schema. XML Schema should be
considered by W3C as the core schema language for "common infrastructure".
(Unfortunately, RDF/RDF Schema poses too many unknowns into the equation.)"

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ac-forum/2001JulSep/0182.html :
Eve Maler, Sun:
"we're concerned about taking on small pieces of work without developing
them against a coherent vision. To this end, we believe the TAG should be
formed as quickly as possible and should immediately begin developing an
architectural vision with which the web services description work can later
align as necessary. The TAG would be the appropriate forum to consider
fully the potential relationship of the semantic web and web services."

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ac-forum/2001JulSep/0176.html
Roger Cutler, Chevron:
"On the face of it, the WSDL activity seems much more attractive than the
RDF-specific proposal. For one thing, it has the backing of industry
heavyweights already and considerable de facto acceptance. If the W3C goes
in some other direction I think there is a definite risk of being ignored.
Moreover, if that happened WSDL would not get the needed "working over" in
terms of integration and validation, and possibly extension, that a W3C
working group would give it, so de facto acceptance might lead to flawed
implementation. Finally, it seems to me premature to make a commitment to
using RDF, the new kid on the block, for a high priority main-line function
like this."

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ac-forum/2001JulSep/0166.html :
Franz Fritz, SAP:
"We do not see the absolute necessity to align WSDL with RDF in the first
step."

--
David Booth
W3C Fellow / Hewlett-Packard